Puente is a transfer-prep learning community where a cohort of 30 students take courses together and participate in required events in one academic year.
Puente means "bridge" in Spanish. The Puente Project is a national award-winning program that for 40 years has improved the college-going rate of tens of thousands of California's educationally underrepresented students.
The program was founded in 1981 at Chabot College in Hayward, California, and has since expanded to over 60 programs throughout the state of California.
Puente students work closely with their Puente counselor until they transfer to a four-year college or university.
Puente is open to students of all backgrounds.
- Learn more about Latino/a culture and issues.
- Receive a one-on-one mentor.
- Earn Priority Registration.
- Receive help with transferring to a four-year college.
- Complete the course Counseling 007: University Transfer Planning
- One-on-one counseling support.
- University application fee assistance.
- Connect to other Puente students who have already transferred.
Steps to Join
We are now recruiting for the 12th cohort for the 2023-2024 academic year! Students must join by May 31, 2023 and it is on a first come, first serve basis. NO application required!
- Review the required courses below you must take with Puente.
- Complete the Puente Interest Form and we will contact you within 2-3 business days.
- Attend one of our required Puente Information Sessions (more information will be sent to you through email).
- If you are interested in joining the Puente Project for the academic year, please contact Veronica Hand at (408) 855-5362 or email@example.com to set up a meeting.
English 001AX (5 units)
- Mondays & Wednesdays
- 10 a.m. - 12:20 p.m. (in-person)
Counseling 005 (3 units)
- Mondays & Wednesdays
- 12:40-2:05 p.m. (in-person)
English 1B (3 units)
- Mondays 10:55 am - 12:20 pm
Counseling 007/007H (1 unit)
- Mondays 12:40-1:45 p.m.
Puente’s mission is to increase the number of educationally underrepresented students who enroll in four-year colleges and universities, earn degrees and return to their communities as leaders and mentors to future generations. Puente is open to all students.
- Must be eligible to enroll in English 1AX & Counseling 005 in the fall semester. Must enroll in the English 1B & Counseling 007 for the following Spring semester.
- Must be planning to transfer to a 4 year university.
- Must commit to participating in all program activities/required events for the 1 year learning community.
Service Area Outcomes
SAO 1: Phase 2 students will complete two college level English courses and a transfer timeline assignment.
SAO 2: Phase 3 students who are eligible to transfer will earn an associate degree and/or certificate and/or be admitted to a university as a transfer student.